Re: [NTLK] RES: RES: [Indesejados] Re: No New Newt, epaper witn pen

From: Greg Hankins <ghankins_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 16:58:38 EST

Hi All!
This has me thinking about the iPhone. I'm tempted, but put off by
the small screen size and the little typewriter thingy that is
required for data entry. I would much prefer HWR, and might buy one
if it had that.

On the other hand, wouldn't speech-recognition be an even better way
to go?

Back when my arthritis was acting up earlier this year, I thought I
might have to start writing with my voice; a friend mentioned that
the "Fools" and Motley Fool mostly use DragonWriter. Being a non-
Windows sort of guy, I found MacSpeech, bought it, and wrote several
newspapers' worth of articles using it. It was different than typing,
but, ultimately, required about the same amount of correcting as my
typing.

I did not play around with the speech commands. But wouldn't this be
the best way to get info into the iPhone?

One problem — it doesn't work all that well in noisy environments.
And updating your datebook on the subway using speech recognition
could get you some pretty strange looks.

Cheers!

Greg
Greg Hankins
Happy Hank's Honey House