Re: [NTLK] Flash: Something interesting

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 06:58:47 EST

On Jan 22, 2008 12:50 AM, Martin Joseph <NT@stillnewt.org> wrote:

> This has nothing to do with the particular keyboard. It's all about
> the completely crap version of Bluetooth that Apple has implemented
> on the iphone. This is such a half assed version of BT, that it
> doesn't support Keyboards, doesn't support stereo headsets, and most
> appalling doesn't support resharing the internet connection (BT
> modem). My Sony ericsson from last century did that perfectly.

I have a feeling that at least the Bluetooth tethering (sharing your
phone's Internet access out over BT) being disabled in the iPhone was
due to contract negotiations. Remember that Apple convinced
AT&T/Cingular to drop the unlimited data plan down to $20. I surely
could live with EDGE speeds for all my non-WiFi Internet access needs
if I had to and AT&T would not be happy with that. In fact, the AT&T
iPhone contracts specifically prohibit you from tethering your phone
for data usage.

> Basically, by March the SDK will be in place and either Mac Ally or
> someone else will have implemented the BT keyboard support that Apple
> left out.

It'll be interesting to see what sorts of apps one can write with the
SDK and how much access you have to the underlying hardware. I'd
expect that one can't write additional drivers, but you can write
sandboxed apps, but I am hoping with all I've got that I'll be proven
wrong.

> Mac Ally is a pretty good company in my experience...

I've had some minor issues with a couple products in the past, but
nothing that would make me not want to buy one of their products. They
are good in general.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com