Re: [NTLK] NCX setup

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 02:36:24 EST

On Jan 28, 2008 2:52 AM, James Charney <james.charney@yale.edu> wrote:
> It talks about inputting the computers IP
> settings--but the window seemed to indicate that the IP settings were
> automatic. I'm confused. Any thoughts on this....James

Here's how I connect via TCP/IP

In the Dock, I choose TCP/IP, and then, tapping on prefs, you want to
choose Manual settings.

Now, the address that you enter there is your computer's address. You
can find that by opening the Network Preferences pane in your System
preferences. Next to your active network in the Summary, it should say
something like, "Built-in Ethernet is currently active, and has the IP
address XXX.xxx.xxx.xxx (numbers, of course, vary). This number is
what you enter into your Dock's Address field. Under that, I have Port
3679, which I think is the default. I know that I don't have any
special port open in my Sharing/Firewall settings, and I don't
remember changing it. So, once that's set and closed, it's a simple
matter to tap "Connect" and I'm connected. I hope you are too, now.
:-) However, before you close the Preferences, make sure your active
Ethernet setup is selected below next to the "Link" diamond menu.

BTW, I've tried AppleTalk and ZeroConfig, and neither works with NCX,
though they do work with Escale, I believe. I think that Simon chose
the simplest protocol to implement--although not the simplest for
users.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland