Re: [NTLK] No New Newt, epaper witn pen

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 03:06:46 EST

On Jan 29, 2008 5:56 AM, Scott Rogers <srogers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Simple: it is usually more convenient to write than to type.

It all depends. I like my Newton, because I can write when I'm
standing, or sitting on the sofa, ore lying in bed. I like my
computer, because it sits at the desk, where I have lots of room to
spread out, and because data entry is so much faster, and the screen
larger.

My personal opinion, is that what we need, and will see (I hope), is
scalable operating systems. It was when the OQO was first announced
(and my wife and Iwere still using Duos!), that I realized that what
I'm about to describe was what I really want. ;-)

Imagine a tiny, handheld device that holds everything--all your data,
all your apps--everything. When you are out and about, it's your
palmtop/phone, even (the phone part is new, thanks to recent
technology advancements), yet, when you need a portable with more
screen/keyboard, the palmtop plugs into/becomes your laptop, and the
OS now works perfectly in that environment. Yet, you also need
expansion/hardware, so when you need that, the palm plugs into/becomes
your full-blown desktop. My original thinking was that this desktop
would be your base, and your data would be synced/backed up to this.

However, the important part is the OS. It scales to match its
environment. It's not a matter of either hwr or keyboard, but both at
the appropriate time. Oh, and now, as a phone, maybe voice recog. ;-)
That is the heart of my thinking.

Tech advances have made me rething the mechanics of it--Foleo, iPhone,
et al. but my ideal of the scaling OS still lives. That's what I'm
waiting for. The iPhone may bring that, but I don't know...

Now, as to shorthand. I didn't like it, and won't use it. It's like
learning Grafitti, only much, much worse. Sure, it may be fast, but
it's not natural to me, and probably not to many/most people. In other
words, it, like Grafitti, is not a practical solution (only 10 times
more so than Grafitti).

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland