Re: [NTLK] Error -48402 in Extras - success!

From: <rhonda_at_write-on.org>
Date: Sun Jul 13 2008 - 14:34:14 EDT

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:55:55 -0700, Rhonda Hyslop wrote:
> Well, with the help of Sonny Hung (thanks!) I've narrowed it down to
> corrupted system information. I backed up the internal store to a card
> and tried restoring it to a spare newton my husband and I picked up
> when they were going cheap in lots of ten. If I restore only the system
> information to a clean newton, I get the error. If I restore everything
> except the system information to a clean newton, I get no more errors -
> but all of my software is unregistered again :-(

Ok, with SBM Utilities and a lot of patience, I have mostly fixed it.
This email is for anybody who has the same problem and is looking for a
solution. I still don't know what caused it, but you can't have
everything.

(Side note - has anybody had contact with SBM recently? sbm.nu is still
registered but doesn't seem to be connected to any computer, and email
to softwarebueromueller.de is forwarded to sbm.nu, where it bounces. I
can't register SBM Utilities because the kagi store is unavailable...)

Basically what I did was back up the internal store to a card, then
brainwipe and restore the corrupted System Information, then started
systematically deleting things out of the soups, hitting the reset
button and testing for the error. As needed, I brainwiped and restored
the prefs and reinstalled SBM Utilities. More than a few times I
deleted something that made my newt totally non-functional, but at
least the brainwipe function always works and fixed those errors. I
narrowed it down to the system soup, and then started doing the same
thing to entries in the system soup. I narrowed it down to the entry
'userConfiguration'.

userConfiguration has registration information for a few programs but
not all of them, so I'm chasing those reg keys to see if I can extract
any of them from that soup and re-enter them.

If the userConfiguration entry is deleted, you have to go through the
"welcome" sequence again, where you enter your name and address etc,
then re-create all the folders you had in all apps. And as I said, some
but not all of the software loses its registration.

But the important thing is, my Newton is usable again!

-Rhonda