Re: [NTLK] Using NewtonMail software for modern electronic mail (serio

From: Steve Weyer <saweyer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jul 20 2008 - 22:32:04 EDT

On [Jul 20], at 5:56 PM, newtontalk@newtontalk.net wrote:

> From: Woody Smith <woodysmith@comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Using NewtonMail software for modern electronic
> mail (serio
> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:22:54 -0500
>
> You should be able to use the email with your 1.3 newton. Sounds like
> you have a modem so you will need a dial-up account that does not
> require SSL. I suspect that these are few and far between.
> As far as I know there are no web browsers for 1.3.
> If you had a terminal app installed you might be able to dial up a
> bulletin board.
> for example <http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/uiben/wagedial.htm> though
> the Newton modem may not be fast enough for this one but others exist.
>
> Woody

there is a 1.x version of Newt's Cape.

assuming you had email working (which -- many many years ago -- used
to be the case with various ISPs, Compuserve and AOL)
you could enter a URL or click on links,
which would then email a request to a proxy server address,
which would then return HTML pages as email content,
which could then be read from the Inbox via Newt's Cape.

definitely klunky, but kinda amazing in its pre-NIE era

Steve
http://www.kagi.com/weyer/