Re: [NTLK] Partial Success going from Notes to PDF

From: Tony Morrow <gizmo1482_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jul 21 2008 - 12:48:25 EDT

On Jul 21, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Don Zahniser wrote:

> Hi, All -
>
> I've tried this, but am having problems, as described below.
>
> My success is that the Pismo works, and the Newton goes through all of
> the slips and displays for printing, and finishes normally.
> However...
>
> For me, nothing from the Newton shows up in the cups-pdf folder. I
> tried a checklist and a plain note. I'm pretty sure that the printer
> _is_ handling the Newton's output to some extent. The files that
> end up
> in the folder from my Cube and Pismo are all formatted
> 'job_nnn-document_title.pdf'. where 'nnn' is a number that increments
> with each printing, and spaces in the document title are replaced by
> underscore characters. Each time I print from my Newton, and then
> print
> from the Pismo, the job number (job_nnn) has incremented by the number
> of documents 'printed' from the Newton, which didn't appear in the
> folder. Also, those documents that I have printed from the In/Out
> application disappear from the Out box, whereas one that didn't (seem
> to) print properly because I had made an error in the IP address
> remained.
>
> I have a printer on the Cube, and am able to print to it from the
> Newton
> using the LPR driver, so am reasonably sure the MP2100 setup is fine.
>
> So - I also am looking for suggestions...
>
> - Don

I tried the setup on my 12" Powerbook running Tiger and go the same
results as Don. I can print from my Windows desktop (installed "Other
Network and Print Services", which installs LPR drivers), but when I
try to print from the Newton nothing appears in the folder. I can
watch the printer in the Printer Setup Utility and it goes through
all the motions for creating the PDF. The job from the Newton even
appears under the Completed tab.

-UPDATE: I found what was going on. cups-pdf allows anonymous
printing so anything with the ability to print with an LPR driver
can. Files sent from the Newton are like this. cups-pdf's config by
default saves anonymous files to /var/spool/cups-pdf/ANONYMOUS.

-SOLUTION: edit the cups-pdf.conf file (located in /etc/cups/). Go to
the line #AnonDirName, remove the # symbol, and change the directory
where you want anonymous files to be saved.

or

Just copy the PDFs from /var/spool/cups-pdf/ANONYMOUS to where ever
you want.

OBSERVATIONS: on a 2100, there appears to be no problem transferring
notes with text. I was able to send a text only note very fast (about
a paragraph long). When it comes to using ink text or sketches the
processing time went up. Two sentences of ink text took around 2
minutes to process. The problem was note was never printed. There may
be a time out in cups that terminates the connection after a minute
or something. Small notes with sketches appear to work.

That's all the information i have so far
  -Tony