Re: [NTLK] Newton keyboard options

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Sun Jul 27 2008 - 09:57:15 EDT

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 3:41 AM, Matt Howe <matthowe@comcast.net> wrote:

> Has anyone reverse engineered a freekey? http://www.pda-soft.de/freekey.html
> Can we try and contact the original creators to see if they have stock or
> information. If I could I would to go look them up. I love that part of
> Bavaria but maybe Frank could find out more? Although on his site he says he
> is looking for one so I guess he probably has tried to contact the original
> makers. But hope springs eternal.

I believe that Knowledgenavigator/Fergie has been developing one (with
the addition of USB, but only for Sync). There's a picture of the
board up on <http://www.macsales.com/> and he posted something to the
list about it earlier this year.

Another option:

A PS2-to-serial adapter and someone could write a PS2 keyboard driver.
There's some info on the protocol here:

<http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2keyboard/>
<http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2protocol/>

Also, a quick Google for "PS2 to serial adapter" did pull up some
adapter cables, so one wouldn't necessarily have to make the cable
themselves.

Maybe Daniel Padilla could give us some hints as to authoring a
keyboard driver (I believe he wrote the one for the Stowaways).

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/