Re: [NTLK] Subject: Re: back up to PC card?

From: R A Parker <Quadzillanet_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Sun Jul 27 2008 - 13:27:00 EDT

On Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 9:35 am Jonathan Ebel wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but what are
> the benefits of using an ATA card
> over a Linear flash card? Are they
> faster? DO they come in bigger storage?

Advantages:

Works on an nearly every model of Newton.

Gives you read/write storage for your eMate.

Types of storage available expanded to modern CFII and SD technologies

Storage capacity, nearly infinite.

Bigger capacity in smaller form factors. Think SD cards.

Disadvantages:

Slow

Prone to locking up when writing large chunks of data.

Prone to crashing when the Newton goes to sleep.

I've only recently been playing with this Software. My goal is to implement it as the primary storage driver on my GPS "Hiking" Newton (MP120 v2.0) and my "Writer's" eMate. The GPS Newton will be reading map data constantly from a 128MB-256MB SD Card. Not expected to go into Sleep Mode. We'll see how that goes. The writer's eMate Works well until you put the lid down. (see Disadvantage #3)

Ron

--
Sent with Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM