[NTLK] Wifi success

From: Andy Hill <adhill_at_fastmail.co.uk>
Date: Thu Jun 05 2008 - 16:34:54 EDT

Hi there

I'm pleased to say that I have at last managed to get Wifi up and running on
both my MP2000 and eMate and am successfully using it for email.
This is great news for me after many aborted attempts.
So I thought I'd share my set up in case it was of use to anyone else.

Broadband package in UK
Orange broadband with the standard issue 'Livebox' broadband modem. With
this package each modem comes with its own unique and unchangeable 26
character WEP key.
(The Newton copes with this just fine - see settings below) For info about
Livebox see: http://www.orange.co.uk/time/livebox/

-----

Other hardware
Lucent Wavelan Gold Turbo Card. (You can use others, see the list on
Hiroshi's webpage below).
For me I needed the Gold card because it will do the 26 character WEP key.

-----

Packages installed on Newton
1] You need some of the packages which make up Newton Internet Enabler
version 2.0
If all you need if Wifi, you ONLY need the following packages.
(Important if like me you have an MP2000 and haven't much heap)

Internet enabler package: (311 kb) (called inetenbl.pkg)
Internet set up package (188 kb) (called inetstup.pkg)
These can be downloaded from:
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/REGPKGS

Devices package: (85kb) (called newtdev.pkg)
Ethernet set up package (74 kb) (called enetsup.pkg)
These can be downloaded from:
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/ENETSUP

2] The notorious Hiroshi's WLAN driver. This is now free.
http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm

3] Then your preferred email package - mine is the superb MailV because it
does IMAP.
Download this from either Unna or Simon Bell's website directly.
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/internet/email/MailV
http://homepage.mac.com/simonbell/mailv/index.html

There are other email packages to choose from which are ok if you have a POP
account:
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/internet/email

-----

Settings on the Newton

1] Settings for the Wavelan card:
Tap on the card icon or just insert your Wavelan and the settings box will
appear.
You don't need to place a tick in 'use card for Apple Talk'

Tap on 'Set up'
Mode: ad-hoc
Channel: 1
SSID: Livebox-5B10
Wep key: (choose hexadecim)
Use WEP: Yes i.e. tick
Then underneath this tap in the 26 character WEP key
Advance settings: Use roaming: Yes i.e. tick.

2] Internet set up
This is found in the Setup folder on the Newton.
tap: New > Generic Setup
tap: Connect using Ethernet
set up name: call it whatever you like
Configuration: leave as DHCP Server
Card: tap and choose Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE
Domain name: leave blank
Done

3] Prefs (in Unfiled Icons) on the Newton
tap: Apple Talk
Connect using: EtherTalk
Card: Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE

4] Owner Info
Add 802.11b WaveLAN set up, then choose the internet set up above.

I hope this is useful to someone. It works for me.
It's cool checking email from the garden, lounge, and dare I say it the BOG!
(I do have the memory upgrade in the emate which makes it more possible on
that given the limited memory and no second card slot.

All the best.
Andy