Re: [NTLK] OT - PowerBook OS Level to be a Newt Accessory?

From: Don Zahniser <dzahniser_at_rochester.rr.com>
Date: Fri Jun 06 2008 - 09:00:48 EDT

Just to put a slightly different spin on the topic:

I have a PB1400 which I keep in service, and have at various times
tried different OS versions to try to 'optimize' its performance.
Here's my take:

  - If all you are going to do is Newton connectivity and don't need
robust internet connectivity, run right over to http://
main.system7today.com/ and set up your computer from the resources
available there (but if you need a System 7.6.1 setup, you must have
install disks). Then add NCU, and also Claris Organizer (from UNNA)
if you want syncing capability. Be aware that if your PB3400 needs
an enabler to run System 7.6.1, it may not be readily available. My
PB1400 was originally shipped with a version of System 7.5 with an
enabler, and I have never seen the enabler other than on the original
software install CD. I have taken a quick look on Apple's site, and
have seen other enablers, but not one for the PB3400. If you can run
7.6.1, you will have the best speed and lowest memory footprint.

  - If you have a 'large' hard drive (>2GB), you may end up wasting a
large amount of space because of HFS file allocation protocols. If
this is important to you, you need HFS+, which became available with
Mac OS 8.1. However, if you can, install Mac OS 8.6 instead. I have
tried Mac OS 8.1, and it never really appealed to me, probably
because at the time the PB1400 was my main computer, and I had a
couple of Carbon applications that needed a higher OS version to
run. To me, the only advantage of running 8.1 over 7.6.1 was HFS+...

  - Mac OS 8.6 gets you Contextual Menus, ability to run some Carbon
applications, and a few other bells and whistles. I would guess that
it has the best features/performance blend for the pre-G3 PPC computers.

  - If you have Carbon applications that won't run on Mac OS 8.6, try
Mac OS 9.0.4 before going to a later version. I found that, on my
PB1400, the interface of 9.0.4 was noticeably more responsive than
that of 9.1 (the highest version that will run on the PB1400). There
were some Carbon applications that would not run under 9.0.4, however.

  - Mac OS 9 uses considerably more memory than Mac OS 8.6, so if you
are memory-limited, it may make more sense to stay with 8.6.

  - Mac OS 9.1 and above gets you things like Multiple Users, bug
fixes and the ability to run later, more modern applications.

All that said, I have Mac OS 9.1 installed on my PB1400. The
performance and memory hit is less important to me than the ability
to run a couple of Carbon applications that I like to use (and
Multiple Users, when one of my kids needs to borrow it), and the
Newton connectivity is still fine.

  - Don