Re: [NTLK] Apple Related Free Thought Association

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jun 10 2008 - 04:26:26 EDT

~~~ On 2008/06/10 08:10, Simon Stapleton at simon.stapleton@gmail.com wrote
~~~

> Christian wrote:
>
>>> http://www.thisoldmac.ca/wordpress/category/nothingness/
>>
>> Nice one Ryan. I'll be looking forward to seeing more.
>>
>> One thing: no sign of any space allocated for the Pismo on your site,
>> despite its undoubted excellence as an example of how a laptop
>> should be
>> designed.
>
> Pismo? Sure, you get firewire and usb built in, but the keyboard's
> rubbish compared to the one on the Wallstreet. Plus, the Wallstreet's
> heavy enough (3.5 kilos *without* the second battery) and tough enough
> to be used to knock potential muggers out cold. Try that with your
> flimsy 2.5 kilo Pismo :)
>
> Simon

THREE-and-a-half kilos! Wow!

Thanks Simon. I'm going straight to eBay to find a Wallstreet going cheap.
I can carry it round and use it to fight off muggers who are trying to steal
my Pismo. You can't be too well prepared when you own a Pismo, you know!

Seriously, I know some people have complained about the Bronze keyboard of
the Lombard and Pismo. I can only say that it doesn't bother me, but
perhaps it helps that I learned to touch-type in my pre-computer youth and
therefore don't tend to hammer on the keyboard.

The one exception is when I had a Pismo keyboard that had somehow become
slightly warped. Down its right side it stuck up about half a millimetre.
When I typed that side of the keyboard tended to rock, making it smack down
onto the frame of the Pismo -- a bit like an old-fashioned slap-stick, if
you know what one of those was. I suspect the Bronze keyboards were
susceptible to this flaw, whether in manufacturing or in use I can't tell,
but if you have a keyboard that doesn't have this flaw it's actually a very
nice keyboard for working. There's a reasonable amount of key travel so I
don't feel like I'm practice-typing on a desk, I get good feedback when
keying in, and it's stiff enough if you aren't a key-pounder.

I found with my warped keyboard that a slight manual adjustment to it
restored it to a flat configuration and all was well. Meanwhile, the Bronze
keyboard is removed easily, making the most common upgrades and maintenance
activities a breeze. No small thing when you spend a LOT of time on the
road and don't want to wait for the end of a two- or three-month trip before
doing something like swapping in a new hard drive (an under 5 minute job, if
I'm hurrying).

Shalom.

Christian

Pismo: so beautiful, you know you want one!
http://www.ahinfo-systeme.ch/quickime/PowerBook_g3.htm
http://www.lowendmac.com/webb/04/0329.html

Fight Spam. Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/