Re: [NTLK] Use XML?

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 13:08:17 EDT

On 12.06.2008, at 15:11, SteveCraft wrote:
> Developers in any language, what are you doing to read/write XML
> documents?

I try to avoid XML at almost any cost. XML is a bloated beast with too
many reading and writing libraries out there that have to patch up use
violations even by those who should know better, like Microsoft. If I
can't avoid it, I use mini-XML by EasySW. It's LGPL, slim, and fast (C+
+).

<http://www.minixml.org/>

> I am thinking of ways to exchange data portably between the Newt and
> every
> other OS, and I think that would give compatibility and flexibility
> at the
> expense of size.

Yes, XML is portable (just stay within UTF-8 for text), but so is a
comma sepearated list of ASCII text. It really depends on the kind of
data that you plan to copy. XML is good to mirror a database,
including soups. If your data is more like a stream, or a big chunk of
binary data, like an image, XML probably is the wrong format.

Just my opinion,

  Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/