Re: [NTLK] 2100 and emate

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Jun 20 2008 - 17:40:13 EDT

Welcome

On Jun 20, 2008, at 2:49 PM, LeighB wrote:

> I'm new also to newtons, i've recently purchased a 2100 from JKSales
> inc and
> also an Emate (in a moment of madness as it was cheap ) from Ebay
> both of
> which should be delivered soon.

Be sure to take care of the hinge repair
<http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html>
or
<http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html>

> I have an Lucent Orinoco Silver card which was previously used in my
> Psion
> Netbook (I'm a sucker for old PDA technology!) which I understand
> works in
> the 2100 with the right drivers.

Yes Check wikiwikinewt for setup or see
Franks guide
<http://www.pda-soft.de/body_ethernetconnectivity.html>

> However I use WEP at home and I understand that WEP support is only
> in the
> registered version of the drivers and that registration is no longer
> available - Is this correct? and if so is there another way of
> connecting
> using WEP?

Hiroshi has released this driver
<http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm>
Download from link and find in folder.

> Also a couple of software questions - is there an MSN/Windows
> Messenger
> Client available?, does the Email client support secure SMTP and POP
> so that
> I can use GMAIL and which web browser should I use (I understand
> there are
> two), and is there a VNC client. None of which are too important to
> me as
> its mainly a toy and something for my collection but if the above is
> available it would make it more useful to me.

Look for Mail V

> Finally I don't think either comes with the newton serial adaptor -
> If so is
> there a way of me connecting to a PC so that programs can be
> installed? Is
> the Emate easier to connect than the 2100 without the properitary
> connector
> so I could infra-red programs across? or otherwise if the Wifi works
> can I
> just setup an FTP server and access the programs that way.

You will need an adapter for conncting to a mac or pc The original
dongles can be pricy and you will need a serial port on the pc.
OR
ask about the card lender program to get necessary packages on a pc
card for installing directly to newt.

Woody