Re: [NTLK] 2100 and emate

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Jun 21 2008 - 11:35:13 EDT

WEP support is now available to everyone. Hiroshi released the source code
and driver as freeware. I don't have the link at the moment but a search of
the archives will turn it up or someone else may have it and chip in the
link.

There are a couple of IM clients but I understand that they are out of date
and none of them worked for MSN. There are a couple of Email clients,
SimpleMail and Mail V by Simon Bell. I use SimpleMail for SMTP and POP3.
Mail V also supports IMAP. But neither of them, nor any other Newton
internet application will support the SSL encryption that GMail uses. THE
Newton IP stack will not support it.

The PDF's you want are available on UNNA. You will find a listing of them
here: http://unna.dillernet.com/view.php?/apple/documentation

A nine pin to Mac serial cable will connect to your Emate. The Emate will
also connect via the special dongle that the 2000/2100 requires. This dongle
fits on the Mac end of the nine pin to Mac serial cable. As an alternative,
J & K Sales offers a one piece nine pin to 2000/2100 cable. I have purchased
one of these and other than for my Newton Keyboard I would not even need a
dongle. As a matter of fact, my dongle never leaves my house (I lost my last
one). I take the one piece cable when I travel in case I need to connect to
another computer. (I use Desktop to dump Notes etc to a terminal app on
other computers when I travel. It amazes people when I can dump my notes to
their computer.) But I digress, the cable from J & K will work with either
your 2100 or your Emate. You can read about it here:
http://www.jksalesinc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_37_48&products_i
d=86

Lastly, most of the stuff I load on to my 2100 comes via a personal web
server I set up on my XP box. I am in the process of getting a Mac up and
running to try out AppleTalk but either of these requires having the network
stuff working on your Newton.

Just let us know if you need any more help or information. There are a lot
of smart people here that can help you. Oh, and I'll try too. (Not one of
the smart people but I try.)

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
mhowe@gfn.org (Newton)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/

LeighB wrote:
<snip>
However I use WEP at home and I understand that WEP support is only in the
registered version of the drivers and that registration is no longer
available - Is this correct? and if so is there another way of connecting
using WEP?

Also a couple of software questions - is there an MSN/Windows Messenger
Client available?, does the Email client support secure SMTP and POP so that
I can use GMAIL and which web browser should I use (I understand there are
two), and is there a VNC client. None of which are too important to me as
its mainly a toy and something for my collection but if the above is
available it would make it more useful to me.

Are there any PDF manuals around for either product that I can download?

Finally I don't think either comes with the newton serial adaptor - If so is
there a way of me connecting to a PC so that programs can be installed? Is
the Emate easier to connect than the 2100 without the properitary connector
so I could infra-red programs across? or otherwise if the Wifi works can I
just setup an FTP server and access the programs that way.
<snip>