[NTLK] Help - emate 300 to NCX with USA-28

From: Ed Miller <cmdrguard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jun 24 2008 - 02:16:00 EDT

Hey Folks,

I just got my hands on a nice working emate 300. I replaced the
battery pack with a AA battery tray and performed the hinge repair as
soon as I got the device. I did this all solely from the information
and warnings posted on the internet - this was my first personal
electronics project. :D

Anyways, though, I can't get the emate to talk to my Powerbook G4. I
got a keyspan USA-28 serial to USB adaptor. I downloaded the latest
keyspan drivers and installed NCX. When I select serial and then dock
from the emate, I simply get no response on the mac and the emate
gives up. I have scoured (and I mean scoured) the list archives but
from what I've gathered, everyone is more or less able to just plug in
the necessary cables and it all works.

Could someone please help me troubleshoot this matter? I am desperate
to get my emate talking. I do not have any wireless card and so I
imagine I need serial to work first and foremost.

Like I said, I'm using a powerbook G4, running Mac OS 10.5.3. I've got
a keyspan USA-28 USB to serial adaptor with a Belkin serial cable.

Is there someway to check if the problem lies with the adaptor? Does
some software exist to monitor raw data coming out of the USB end of
the adapter? Could it be the serial cable? Is there something in
leopard that could be conflicting?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CmdrGuard