Re: [NTLK] OT: Wasted CPU cycles

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Sun Mar 02 2008 - 15:18:20 EST

<snip>
On Mar 2, 2008, at 12:48 AM, Simon Stapleton wrote:

> From my POV, modern computing isn't rubbish. Far from it; it's
> frickin' excellent.
<snip>

As another old timer, I tend to agree with Simon on this. Although
"modern" computing isn't all that modern when you scrutinize the guts
of it. Look at the copyright notices while you are booting OSX in
verbose mode and see that some of the notices date back to the Apple ]
[ era...

Still it's foolish nostalgia to think that things where somehow
"better" in the old days. Simpler, yes. It's true that a lot of the
modern machine horsepower isn't harnessed to it's maximum usefulness
(nowhere near). Still the richness of the graphical interfaces and
the simplicity of use when compared to the old days is the progress
we have made.

Yes, there are many examples of bloatware including OS's.

This bloat is generally unfelt by the end user, as the speeds and
disk spaces involved in the newer systems make this bloat moot.

my 2c (US),
Marty