Re: [NTLK] iPhone SDK = Newton Touch?

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Thu Mar 13 2008 - 06:39:08 EDT

On 13.03.2008, at 06:51, James Fraser wrote:

> IOW: Despite all the obstacles, Stepan Pachikov was
> able to get Apple to see that there was *potential* in
> what he was attempting to do. And perhaps there's a
> way for the Einstein developers to do that, too.

The iPhone SDK has severe limitations in its license that would make
an Einstein emulator useless. Apart form having to disable the ability
to install packages in order to conform, we would also not be able to
run in the background, so no alarm or calender events (it may be
possible to solve the first issue by wrapping Newton packages and have
them installed through iTunes which would give the per-application
control back to Apple). There is also the lack of pen input and a very
high resolution, yet small screen, which makes HWR impossible and
hitting a Newton button extremely hard.

Sure, it would be great to show and it should be done, but IMHO it is
not really practical for every day use.

I use Einstein on a small tablet PC (twice the size of a Netwon,
800x600 pixels, pen input) and apart from XP boot times and battery
issues, it works like a charm (and the B&W look of the Newton OS keeps
me focused on my real work, but attracts questions from bystanders who
are so used to the Windows XP Teletubbies color scheme ;-).

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/