Re: [NTLK] A few newbie questions.

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 10:23:11 EDT

Welcome to Newton talk

Be sure to take care of the hinge repair if it isn't already done.

On Mar 14, 2008, at 7:17 AM, Stephen Gilman wrote:

> 2) I bought my eMate for use during my weekly d20 Dungeons & Dragons
> games. Are there any good d20 apps for the Newton/eMate? I'm
> thinking
> about character sheet database programs and ebooks of the 3.5 System
> Reference Document.

If the documents in question are in text or html then it may be
possible to make a new newton book. or document for Mapper.

> 4) What sort of spreadsheet or database apps are out there for
> Newton/eMate?

There is an add on to Newt works (quickfigureworks) and a number of
databases that are stand alone, add on to Works or add on to the built
in Names app.
check UNNA.org.

> 5) Is there an app where I could open up an image on the eMate (say, a
> map, for example), and then draw on a transparent layer on top of the
> map, and then save the layer I just drew, and re-open the layer on top
> of the map later on? Again, this would be helpful for D&D.

Images are typically opened on the Newt as backdrop images (Avi's
Backdrop), as images in newton books or as images in web sites. None
of these will allow you to do what you ask.
You can annotate or draw on a newton book but I don't think you can
save it seperately, In fact, if I recall correctly you cannot easily
save it at all.

> 6) Has there been any progress on a pdf reader for Newton/eMate, other
> than the one I saw that converts each page to an image file? I
> found a
> few Java pdf readers out there. How hard would they be to port to
> Newton?

I don't think it's gonna happen, but if you can convert it to html you
can use NewtsCape.