[NTLK] Apple's Newton Utilities

From: Greg Hankins <ghankins_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 14:07:29 EDT

Hi All!
Rummaging through the treasure trove of stuff on the Newtown Museum
DvDs (I think) I came across several copies of Apple documentation
for a set of software called "Newton Utilities," which included a
memory manager, software package manager, and a couple of other things.

Sounded interesting, so I found them on UNNA; but, when I tried to
install them on my MP2000, I get a message that says the applications
weren't installed "because it does not work with this system."

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything in the Apple Docs that
referenced the version of the Newton OS these utilities were intended
for. Anyone know more about this? Should I pursue later versions of
the Newton Utilities or give up the hunt?

I was particularly interested in the Memory Manger's alleged ability
to free up space being consumed by orphaned soups and the like.

Thanks!

Greg