Re: [NTLK] [ANN] NewtonTalk on LinkedIn

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Sat May 03 2008 - 08:00:47 EDT

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 8:55 PM, G. Isten <gisela@tariffenet.it> wrote:

> Hm, my impression was that all things Newton were welcome here. And as far as OTs are concerned, it's not as though poutine or King Henry's bodily measurements are considered to be so OT as to lead to drastic sanctions. :-) Actually, it's also this human dimension that makes this list so special, I'd say.

I agree whole-heartedly.

> If someone chooses to showcase him/herself on a networking service, I suppose that's perfectly ok, and may likely also turn out useful for their professional lives. Personally, I have no use for such networks and can't muster much enthusiasm for the idea. My main worry here is that a parallel NewtonTalk-like entity elsewhere would adversely affect the livelihood of *this* list. Sadly, I've seen that happen more than once in other lists/groups.

Fortunately the NewtonTalk Group on LinkedIn is nothing more than a
list of NewtonTalk members who are on LinkedIn. The advantage is being
able to link to other members' professional profiles (which contain
their resumes, list of contacts, and list of groups that they're part
of) to better help them "network." While there is a system for Q&A,
it's really not organized in a way that could ever replace NTLK (you
can't even limit your questions to a specific group you're in).

So, I wouldn't worry about it pulling any traffic away from this
mailing list. It's definitely not for everyone anyway, but we wanted
to help preserve & expand the solidarity of NewtonTalk a little bit.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/