[NTLK] Behold the invisible meeting!

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 05:28:21 EDT

Iıd be very grateful if anyone can help me understand what Iım about to
describe.
When I have an activity that I repeat on an irregular basis, I often will
schedule the next occurrence of it by editing the last occurrence of it once
itıs finished. I most often do this by opening the Meeting, changing the
date, and saving. Naturally, ³Dates² then moves to the new date, letting me
double-check that Iıve done what I set out to do.

This last Sunday I did just that. I found myself looking at the new date
page in early 2009. But .......blank! I couldnıt see the Meeting listing
Iıd moved. In the process of looking for that Meeting, I scrolled up and
down in that date, and noticed that the appropriate scroll arrow turned
black when the date page scrolled to where the Meeting-time went out of
view, and turned clear when it should have been visible. Obviously, as far
as Newt was concerned, that appointment was still there. But I couldnıt see
it.

Confused, I returned to ³Today², tapped ³Find², and wrote in the exact title
of the Meeting. Newt came back with just one occurrence of that title, and
displayed the same blank date. And once more, when I scrolled up and down
in that date, the appropriate scroll arrow turned black when the time
scrolled out of view, and clear again when it should have been visible. It
was definitely there ‹ somewhere.

In the end I realized that the only thing I could do was to figure out a way
to delete it, and then re-enter it. Eventually I figured out that when it
came up in Find, if I ticked the Meeting to select it, instead of tapping
its title to display it, I could select the envelope icon on the bottom of
the Find display and delete it. That worked (as far as I could see) and the
scroll arrow for the date in question no longer indicated the presence of a
Meeting. When I re-entered the Meeting it displayed normally.

So, I managed to solve my problem, but I have no idea what my problem was.
Iım left with questions, and Iım hoping someone here knows what happened.

[1] What happened? Why did that meeting disappear from view?

[2] Is this a known bug?

[3] is it perhaps a deliberate feature, one that allows the scheduling of
Meetings while hiding them from prying eyes? And if it is, how does one
turn it on deliberately?

I realized afterwards I ought to have tried the ³Show² command in Dates, to
see if I could have displayed the Meeting in Agenda view, but I didnıt think
of it in time.

So, allıs well that ends, but what was that?

TIA.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant