Re: [NTLK] Inkwell and cursive HWR in OS X

From: Norman Palardy <npalardy_at_great-white-software.com>
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 18:08:01 EDT

On 6-May-08, at 2:12 PM, Michael Blazer wrote:

> Hi all - haven't posted in a long while. I just hooked up a tablet
> (Wacom) to my Mac for the first time ever, thinking I was going to
> have some HWR fun, Newton-style. To my great disappointment, it
> doesn't recognize cursive. (I eventually figured this out when every
> word I wrote was interpreted as the letter 'm'!) Obviously this is a
> not a new discovery but I had no idea. I'd heard of Inkwell and
> simply assumed they must have basically ported the HWR from the
> Newton.
>
> In the archives I found this
> <http://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&m=103955520028843&w=2> Dec. 2002
> posting from Paul G. saying that Apple couldn't put the Newton's
> cursive recognizer into OS X, because "Paragraph is now more or less
> sold to Microsoft".
>
> Anyone know the current situation? Was it actually sold to Microsoft?
> Does Apple have any plans to put cursive recognition into Inkwell?
> Are there other cursive recognizers as good as Paragraph?
>
> I read today about somebody developing HWR for the iPhone/iTouch and I
> thought, why re-invent the wheel? But if Apple no longer has this
> technology then it makes sense. (Although Apple selling it doesn't
> make sense to me.)

How about
   <http://wwnc.newtontalk.net/2004/program/larryyaeger/>
   <http://wwnc.newtontalk.net/2004/program/larryyaeger/slides-
larryyaeger.pdf>
or
   <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2005/6/12/504>
where it's mentioned
ParaGraph was responsible for the first generation handwriting
recognition in the Newton OS They later developed a cursive
recognition system for the Newton 2.x a system, the latter licensed
to Microsoft who now uses it in their Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.
The software is still available under the name Callligrapher.
ParaGraph is now PhatWare.