Re: [NTLK] Inkwell and cursive HWR in OS X

From: Lord Groundhog <lordgroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 07 2008 - 13:46:34 EDT

~~~ On 2008/05/07 18:15, RCMP_Mike at rcmpmike@hotmail.com wrote ~~~

> I beg to differ. I think it's miles away from the Newt's handwriting
> recognition experience.
>
> HanWang's handwriting recognition for the iPhone is more akin to Graffiti
> than the ParaGraph/Apple recognizer we've come to appreciate.
>
> I would love nothing more than to have embedded HWR on the iPhone but Apple
> has really fallen behind (whether by choice or not is another matter
> altogether) in this field. I won't hold my breath for this to happen
> anytime soon.
>
> Mike

At the risk of sounding ignorant (as good a word as any) could someone tell
me, what is the standard of HWR in Einstein, and how is it accomplished? Is
it ParaGraph/Apple, or did they have to do something else to avoid legal
conflict?

The more of this thread I read, the more desperate I start to feel. All
things break down; sooner or later it's inevitable that I'll be forced to
rip my dead right arm and right leg from my body and bury th-- err, I mean,
forced to close the door of Newt for the last time and submit its dead
remains for recycling and disposal. After that, if Apple or somebody hasn't
given us a new Newton -- I mean the real thing, with full and proper data
integration, the ability to sketch and draw in a Note, genuine,
full-blooded, real-time HWR, and all the rest (and let's not forget Assist!)
-- well, what am I supposed to do for the rest of my life?

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl