Re: [NTLK] might give up on newton- people... people...

From: Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG_at_aafes.com>
Date: Thu May 15 2008 - 08:42:10 EDT

From: Morgan Aldridge
(snip)

There's lots of Newton development documentation on UNNA and Kallisys,
but the shortage of developers (esp. those that have time to play
mentor) and the difficulties surrounding setting up, let alone using,
the developer tools are really hurting us right now.

(snip)

It's really a considerable disappointment.

Morgan Aldridge

People... people...

You all must not exist in any other realm of discontinued computers.
(I'm somewhat involved with other scenes like Atari, Amiga, etc...)

First look at what the Newton *IS*... it is useful as a note taking and
sound recording device. It has a nice sized screen, and a lot of useful
applications and some good documentation.

Just about the time the Newton development team was waving goodbye, we
got the text to speech engine. And the Newton was fortunate enough to
get internet protocals and drivers for number of printers. Nice nice.

MOST IMPORTANTLY...
Being involved with many platforms, I see communities and the nature of
those communities.

Newton was always lucky enough to have a group of people that were
dedicated, and if nothing else, were fun to talk to.

Lately there has been a negative turn to the Newton community. We
expect developers to release source code. That is wrong. Ask yes,
encourage yes, but remember to be thankful. And if they don't release
source codes or unlocked programs, that is their choice.

Above all, remember the Newton for what it is at the root of it all.. it
is a great device. Remember that if it does anything else, that is just
icing on the cake... not what to be expected.

And if the Newton does not do what you want the Newton to do....
1) Learn to program and make it happen
2) Ask someone else nicely and be patient
3) Find another device that can meet your needs.

That is all... above all.. smiles everyone. Be glad the Newton didn't
end with the Newton 110, or even the Newton OMP. The Newton made it to
the Newton 2000 which I still remember back the day I saw it, drooled,
and took on a $1200 Apple Student loan to pay for it. Worth it!!! :D

(The Newton 110 was my first Newton... loved that one too.)

Doc Clu