Re: [NTLK] The "iMoleskine" ?

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon May 19 2008 - 19:06:03 EDT

~~~ On 2008/05/19 07:41, Jon Glass at jonglass@usa.net wrote ~~~

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 1:41 AM, Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>>

> I would like to think not, but since nobody has come close to the
> Newton, I can't help but wonder if we are really on the fringe!

Sometimes we "fringe" are the folks who are getting it right. Majority rule
may work when it comes to some things, but in my perhaps-insignificant
opinion, identifying superior technologies is not in that category! When it
comes to spotting the next really good tech (as opposed to the next Really
Big Thing) I'll trust a nerd over the herd every time.

> No disagreements with you there! That's why I prefer my Newton for
> note-taking. In fact, i was just using it on a seminar. To me, the
> best paper notebook that ever existed was the Newton. ;-) My problem
> now, however, is that it is no longer convenient for me to carry
> multiple (and one very large) electronic devices around all day, every
> day. So the Newton gets relegated to those times when I know I will
> need it. That's why I wish Apple could have made one with the screen
> size of a 120/130, and as thick as my Tungsten. That would have been
> sweet! ;-)

"the best paper notebook that ever existed was the Newton" -- that just begs
to be modified into a sig.

As for your design preference, My idea for new dimensions for my "Newton
Mark II" is something along the lines of: 10.0cm x 19.0cm x 1.0cm. The
main thing is, I'd like the screen to be about the same as it is now on the
2100. My only concern is: how do you get the astounding battery life along
with the present flexibility of banging some ordinary AA batteries into a
sled and carrying on wherever you are? The best answer I can manage so far
is: a newly designed rechargeable battery that fits my new dimensions, but
also an auxiliary battery sled approximately 11.0cm x 3.0cm x 2.0cm, that
plugs into the back of my Mark II at the rear and, of course, takes four AA
batteries. Sad compared to the simplicity and elegance of what we have now,
eh? But there you are.

> I used to love setting "guest mode" but people were always
> disappointed with how it recognized their handwriting. They'd watch my
> checken scratch get recognized perfectly, and wonder why they couldn't
> do it. ;-) So, on the one hand, it was always "Wow" but also
> disappointment. That's why I say that whatever it is, it needs to work
> out of the bo for everybody. I suspect that is the single reason that
> keyboards and grafitti sell. Long-term, the satisfaction is much less
> than true HWR, but out of the box experience trumps. (Sadly)

You're right about the power of the out-of-the-box experience. I suppose
that's partly why I'm so stuck on the MP2100: I've told the story of
meeting the Newton here before so I won't repeat myself again. Put simply,
it was exceptional HWR at first sight. Really, how could I resist such
seduction? ;)

That said, it's happened for a number of people I know now, so I'm not alone
even if my experience isn't universal. But I can see how some folks would
find it easy to assume that if it isn't like that for them, the Newton will
never adapt to them. A pity.

>> I guess you and I will continue to rate the iPhone differently. But I can't
>> help noticing that, after we can debate all the points we might not agree
>> about the Newton, we come back together when you and I both say, "nothing
>> will entirely replace my Newton. ... I doubt I could give a rational
>> reason." I don't know why, but as long as my Newton "knows" me and does
>> what I need better than anything else out there, I don't see me replacing it
>> with anything else.
>
> With you there, dude. :-) Unfortunately, what with the iPhone, I doubt
> we will ever see a Newton-like device any more. Besides the fact that
> text/faxing/calendars, etc. are so 20th century to too many people.
> Most people want mobile web, music and videos, or so it seems. Look at
> the Nokiatablet, for instance, no PIM software at all! Go figure. ;-)

...and yet ...

No offence to anyone else, but I don't buy into the apparent "grooviness" of
having a phone/web browser that also plays back our entertainment files and
thereby eats up valuable power I might need to do something important, like
make a long *phone call* on my *phone*. To me this seems especially
short-sighted since Apple insists on making battery change-over too awkward
to do on the fly (my current best time for swapping Newton batteries in
ideal conditions is just over 2 seconds; try that with your iPhone). And
then there's the problem of all multi-function gadget: continued access to
your work-tool is dependent upon the continued good functioning of your
e-toys, and vice versa.

The difference between the iPhone, the iPod Touch and similar OTOH, and the
Newton OTOH, is that the former are entertainment gadgets with some kind of
communication facility attached, while the latter is a multi-functional
productivity tool with some entertainment options that could be expanded in
a new version. The fact that the majority -- see above -- seems to want
(primarily) to be amused and entertained passively doesn't relate to me.
Let them eat cake! I'd rather have my e-playground on a separate gizmo, and
a new version of the Newton for my real life: the people and meetings and
all the rest.

In my ideal world, I'd have some kind of super-iPod, able to store the
majority of my music in high quality format (>200Gb, please) and the
occasional podcast. Then I'd have my Newton Mark II (c'mon folks, help me
come up with a better name for this Aspirational Object Of Desire!) with 3G
quad-band phone, connectivity, all the Newton PIM software, and so on. Oh
yeah, and it'd keep the data structure of the 2100 -- I love soup, and I'd
keep the great battery life, and I'd keep the real HWR.

Just my 2 cents' worth -- devalued like everyone else's 2 cents these days.

Shalom.
Christian

"The best paper notebook that ever existed is the Newton."
            -- Jon Glass

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl