Re: [NTLK] The "iMoleskine" ?

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Tue May 20 2008 - 15:54:24 EDT

On May 20, 2008, at 7:36 AM, Cantley, Bryan wrote:
> A different point of view..
> I am reminded by reading all these posts that Apple will probably
> not make
> a device that only feeds us geeky few.... They would only do it for
> the
> masses. So all this technical discussion of the underpinnings of
> the OS,
> while a great read, is probably lost on the consumer component-
> which is
> clearly, IMO, the way in which Apple [no computer] Inc. is moving.
>
> I wonder if there might be some discussion on the less technical
> and the
> more UI condition?
>
> Just a thought :)

Funny, I thought that was the UI discussion! Reread Joel's posts
regarding the stagnation of the Mac OS GUI, and you will discover
several new ideas for improving things. Actually, I have to say
there is a LOT of low hanging fruit in this category.

One thought that has occurred to me is that when users receive email
bounce messages they usually don't understand them, because they
can't hash through the meaningless portion to get to the part that
has meaning. It would be spiffy of the mail program identified and
hashed these messages and did something useful with them...

For example, you have an old defunct email address in your address
book. The messages you send to it bounce with a "user unknown". The
mail program could easily identify that address and then next time it
could tell you "That address appears to be bad". It could even look
in the address book for additional address book entries for the email
address of that user. I see this kind of issue all the time with
users I support.

Just a thought,
Marty

PS It all comes down to the computer helping the user along.