Re: [NTLK] Dream OS [WAS: "The iMoleskine ?" AND "Re: newtontalk Diges

From: Steven Frank <stevenf_at_panic.com>
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 19:40:10 EDT

On May 22, 2008, at 9:30 AM, Simon Stapleton wrote:

> The paradigm of using "Applications" to manipulate "Files" is, I
> believe, wrong, and the need to use a "Browser" to find tyour "Files"
> in some hierarchical and arbitrary "Directory Structure" is a
> fundamental abomination.

I think I agree. As you mentioned, it would extremely difficult, and
co-existing in a world dominated by application-and-file-based
operating systems would be tricky at best. (Look no further than the
Newton itself, and how weird things get once you need to break the
bubble and interact with the non-Newton world.)

It's the sort of thing that would need to be driven by a very
passionate hobbyist with a whole lot of free time, and followed by a
grassroots adoption of the technology. It's not even like buying into
a product -- it's like buying into a whole new mindset, and one that
doesn't mesh very well with the established one. I can't imagine any
corporation daring to tackle this -- at least, until the idea is out
there, and some sort of prototype environment is widely adopted. It
hasn't happened for Squeak yet. :)

I think about stuff like this a lot. Obviously I haven't cracked the
problem. :) But I thought you'd appreciate a "me too". Thought-
provoking messages like yours are one of the reasons I can't quit this
mailing list, even though my Newton isn't seeing daily use...

Steven