[NTLK] DyneTK tutorial

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Fri May 30 2008 - 18:08:20 EDT

> I have put a rough layout of what I think tutorial 3 should look
like
> on the page. For those who are experienced with NTK, please test the

> steps and feel free to leave me a comment at the bottom of the page
so
> that I can write out the full tutorial in the next days.

Well done!

Some suggestions based on the italics in your tutorial...

You might want to mention that it is not necessary to connect to the
Newton before the download package step is reached. People who have
problems
with connecting can still use DyneTK fine for layouting and compiling
their
application.

> what is a project file and why do we need it?

The project file is the container where all information required for
compiling
and building your package lives. This includes the build
specifications (which you
control in the DyneTK Project Settings) and a list of all files that
are to be
processed during compilation and build of your package.

> what is a layout?

The layout contains information on what is in your application and how
it behaves.
You can roughly compare it to a floor plan: The bathroom (close box)
is in the
bottom right-hand corner, the closet (application title) is at the
top, the
living room (application content) is located between them. In the
living room
there is a TV set (checkbox) in the bottom left-hand corner, the
opposite
corner is occupied by the piano (date picker), and between both is a
very
large table (text input area). And so on...
Every Newton project needs at least one layout file.

> What in the world is a view?

A view is an object created by the Newton view system. It is a frame
that represents
a visual object on the screen. Every visible element of your
application (in the above example the close box, the title, the
checkbox,
the date picker and the text input area) are views. The container
around them,
which you will soon create in the form of a ProtoFloatNGo, is a view,
too.
It is called the base view because it contains all the visual parts of
the application.

> And what is a template?

A template is a container that contains the data description of an
object. Templates
are, well, templates. Something pre-defined that you can use and
adjust to your
needs. Usually templates both control how views look and provide
functionality
required within the application.

All this is off the top of my head. If I got anything wrong, feel free
to chime in, everybody ;-)

Frank