Re: [NTLK] Question about Newton and WLAN (on Mac OS-X 10.4.11)

From: R A Parker <Quadzillanet_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Sat Nov 01 2008 - 12:57:00 EDT

On Thursday, October 30, 2008 at 12:09 pm Stefan wrote:

> Hi RAParker, (and others)
>
> thanks for your friendly and large
> answer. I'm trying to understand
> its meaning ;-)

You are welcome. Are you ready for the next round of information to digest?

> I see, I wasn't exactly with my
> stable, the other is blinking!

Are you talking about the router or the WaveLAN card in your Newton? If your Newton's wireless card has a solid light, that's a good sign. If you're speaking about the router, that information is not important at this point. Your goal is to configure, either the Airport card in your Mac Mini, OR your router for wireless access using 802.11b (the 'b' is the important part).

If either of these are set for 802.11g or 802.11n (a.k.a. Airport Extreme or Wireless G (54G), you may have a hard time connecting your Newton. You need to be able to configure them to accept an 802.11b connection.

> 4. My Mini has built-in Airportcard
> (extreme).

> I have to recognize, that my statement
> about my Airport-version might be
> wrong too:

Shouldn't matter what version of Airport you have. The important part is that your Mini HAS Airport.

Do you have Airport (built-in) on your Mac Mini?

Does your Mac Mini also have (built-in) ethernet?

This next question is a little more complex... Is your Mac Mini connected to the Internet via Ethernet? Like this: Mini's Ethernet->Router->high speed Internet Provider

> My router is a foreign model of the
> provider,

I'm guessing that it has only one Ethernet port and that Ethernet port is connected directly to your Mac Mini. If this is the case, you should consider upgrading to a modern Broadband Router w/Wireless. These usually have a built-in 4 port Ethernet Switch, in addition to a WAN uplink port for connecting to your provider's equipment. The bonus of Wireless is definitely useful for your Newton.

You mentioned in your previous post that your router has WLAN (Wireless LAN) capabilities.

Can you configure your "foreign" router for Wireless Access? If you can configure your router, you should be able to get your Newton to connect to it. Like this: Newton WaveLAN->Router->Internet Access.

> no Apple or Apple extreme.

> I thought the internal Airport
> (=client) card is "extreme"
> too or not. But that's
> surely without meaninig - or?

If you have Airport built-in and your Mac Mini is connect to your ISP, then the following still applies:

>> You need to activate Ad Hod
>> (Peer-to-Peer) mode and you
>> must keep in mind that your
>>Newton only works with 802.11b.
>>
>>Make sure that you have your
>> Airport Utility Software correctly to
>> configure for Ad Hoc mode AND the
>> Airport extreme is set to 'B only'
>> mode to 'B' compatible. If your Airport
>> extreme will not (or is not set
>> to) do 802.11b, you're not going to get
>> connected.

Don't worry about what kind of Airport your Mini has (Extreme or older) either should work.

>> I'd like to see the screenshots
>> of your Airport Utility. Can you
>> send them to me?

I would still like to see some screenshots. Do you know how to use the Mac's screenshot hot keys? Shift-Apple-4 (whole screen) and Shift-Apple-3 (cross-hair selection).

> The Airport-Utility can't find
> any wireless router (at all or only in
> my case) of other manufacturers.
> It doesn't show the WLAN of my
> (foreign) router although it is
> definitely running/sending.

OK... I understand from this that you ALSO have WLAN on the router. Can you manually configure the router from a web page interface? That's what I would be looking for. Search the Internet to see if an Operation/Setup Manual is available for your "foreign" router.

>> Keep going... you'll get it.

> Thank you for encouraging, I already
> thought about quitting my efforts.

> Another question, friends: is a
> connection via bluetooth
> simplier? And how fast is it
> compared with WLAN/WiFi?

From what I've seen in usage comments, WiFi will be easier and more rewarding (feature wise) than Bluetooth. Bluetooth is sort of an oddity for the Newton. It boils down to just a method of moving information to/from a phone and your Newton.

WiFi is what Newton connectivity is all about. WiFi gives you the Internet, email, downloads, backups, and a whole lot more. Skip bluetooth.

Still here to help,

Ron

--
Sent with Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM