Re: [NTLK] Question about OS-language

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 03 2008 - 11:38:55 EST

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:01 AM, RedJazz <redjazz_slo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> No, you can't. The only way to change it is to replace the ROM chip.

Correct.

> However I think this would require you to backup all your data and then
> restore it, since replacing the ROM chip would erase everything in your
> MessagePad. (The ROM chip has a serial number which is linked to the flash
> memory, so the numbers need to match in order to read the flash memory. Or
> something similar.)

Not exactly correct but on the right path. ;-)

Hm, Matej... you bring up a good point...
1) You should do a backup no matter what if you are going to play with your
Newton in this manner.
as Frank always reminds us :)

2) Whe you change a ROM board usually you are re-inserting the same language
ROM board back in.
It will boot up and run just fine.

However if you are in this case replacing a (EN)glish ROM board with a
(DE)utschland
*hopefully I got this right.
then the Newton (MP2x00) will notice the change and Flush the Flash Ram
causing the loss of any patches that were installed.

This has been documented and also applies to the eMate 300 if you were to
install a MP2x00 ROM board into it. After reinserting the eMate 300 ROM
board back in you would see NOS 2.2.00 instead of NOS 2.1 as reported by
Stephanie Mak.

* PS: I'm still in search of a (DE) ROM board for my Newton MP2x00 also - so
if you have one tell me too :) off list.
Pretty please...

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung