Re: [NTLK] eMate 300 wouldn't boot up

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 16:20:26 EST

> So I was pulling out one of my eMate 300's to test
> something out and I try to start it up but it would
> NOT boot up. The screen comes up the the Flashing Screen.
> I tried the reset button a few times. I didn't have a torx
> screw driver to open the battery compartment to reseat the
> ROM or Memory Upgrade so I had to try something. So last
> week I just plugged the unit with the 9W Newton Adapter
> and left it in my desk over the week to charge/including
> this past weekend. I come in and low and behold when I open
> the lid the eMate is on andworkig fine. Thought this was never
> discussed and someone might be interested in finding an
> alternative way to start their eMate if they get the Flashing
Screen.

The flashing screen is an indicator that the eMate senses a problem
with its memory. More often than not this is a problem with the
NewerTech memory upgrade, which is so poorly soldered that the eMate
sometimes finds it and sometimes not. If it happens to work, this
doesn't mean anything. Tomorrow it might not work. The only reliable
cure is

a) Remove the memory upgrade board
b) Resolder the components on it or have them resoldered

The major problem with this is that the eMate deletes ALL your
data and resets to factory condition if you remove the board
or add it.

Frank