[NTLK] Newton Availability

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Nov 16 2008 - 08:18:47 EST

Hello,

--- On Sun, 11/16/08, Ed Kummel <tech_ed@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ...and since each vendor was only getting 10-20 Newtons per shipment, >this would take years to gather the Newtons necessary to satisfy the DOT

What was Newton availability like around this time?

As in: was Apple limiting the supply of Newtons as part of a *deliberate* policy? Or were they trying to shove as many Newtons out the door as possible, but manufacturing limitations meant that Newtons were a relatively scarce item?

To be honest, I was always under the impression that it was the high price point (relative to full-blown desktops) that contributed, at least in part, to the death of the Newton. But perhaps it was the simple fact that the Newton was available in such limited numbers that it simply never had a possibility to reach the Critical Mass needed for a computing device to gain widespread popularity (and therefore continue to be made)?

Best,

James Fraser