Re: [NTLK] Who says there's no Mac tablet?

From: Ryan Vetter <ryanv_at_me.com>
Date: Sun Nov 16 2008 - 16:06:19 EST

I would hardly use it in OS X. On the iPhone, that is different, the OS is optimized for touch, but OS X is not. Apple would need to come up with a version of OS X built for a tablet, which is what they have been researching for several years, and where the technology for the iPhone came from.

But they have still paused on releasing a tablet. From my understanding, there are still some challenges they need to overcome before the product is ready. But there is no question they have been researching and developing a tablet since at least the end of 2003/early 2004. I am sure it would be a hybrid between the iPhone and the current OS X running on all of Apple's computers. Maybe an iPhone like home screen with a spotlight search field, large, bubbly icons for ease of touch, etc. And it will be a thin slate: a true tablet - a focused device. I am also sure they would build in cursive handwriting with a stylus. This would allow not only office workers to log notes, etc., like on the Newton, but also allow artists to draw and create things.

So, thin, very thin aluminum unibody slate, with a glassy/glossy touch screen, with stylus and custom touch OS. I can see people buying these and how it will change the computer industry, and change how people use computers. We will see them at art shows (hosts walking around with tablets), doctors offices, government offices, homes, conference rooms, science labs...

Nobody has made such a true tablet yet, meaning a very thin, fully functionaly, multi-touch device. I know Apple can give us the world on this, and I am sure they have some amazing prototypes similar to what is described here. I just hope they release it soon, the world is ready.

Ryan