Re: [NTLK] mp2000 internal keyboard port?

From: Richard Plume <rplume_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon Nov 17 2008 - 18:55:18 EST

on 11/17/08 3:49 PM, Charles Mangin at option8@option8.com wrote:

> i vaguely remember reading something about a planned accessory/upgrade
> to the messagepad 2000/2100 - a screen lid with built-in keyboard.

Hi Charles;

    What you probably remember is a small blurb in Pen Computing magazine
(Vol. 4, No. 16, page 16), complete with photo, where the editors
speculated on uses for the two slots.

    The original text read:

Secret Expansion Slots?
Tucked deep inside the MessagePad 2000, Apple designed a pair of intriguing
access slots that hint at a more integrated and powerful near-future
machine. On the right is a slide-out cover for what appears to be a
PowerBook-style internal modem card complete with a plug-in connector. The
slot is big enough for a phone-style RJ-11 jack or even a 10Base-T
Ethernet-Style RJ-45 jack for direct Internet connection via LAN. Below is
another slide-out plug near the screen cover hinge. We believe this slot
near the screen could facilitate a ribbon cable for a replacement screen
cover with an integrated, ultra-thin membrane keyboard.

---
    To my knowledge the keyboard, modem and LAN adapter were never produced.
    Hope this helps.
Rick