Re: [NTLK] Fwd: [re the next NewtCon] all about Canada

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Sep 03 2008 - 02:35:57 EDT

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 1:31 AM, matthiasm <mm@matthiasm.com> wrote:

> Folks in Europe were anti-Bush four years ago, but when he was re-
> elected, 80% of Europeans(*) lost much of their sympathy with the
> U.S. . Apathy may be a reason, but not an excuse.

I hate to say this, but this really relates, if you will just read to
the end. But I hold no stock on this attitude. There is much less
"Bush-hatred" than is reported. In fact, it has been during Bush's
second term that there has been a resurgence of more conservative
leadership in Europe (Sarkozy anyone), but more importantly, to the
point under discussion (ignorance). When I ask euro Bush-haters why
they hate Bush so much, their answers reveal a great ignorance of the
issues at hand, and show a lack of knowledge of current events, and
even recent Middle-East history. In other words, they hate Bush
because their media has told them to, and out of ignorance. I don't
mind if someone hates Bush, and knows _why_ they hate Bush, and can
give me a well-reasoned answer, but most people who hate him, hate him
for the wrong reasons, or out of ignorance. That disappoints me.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland