Re: [NTLK] Dedicated Newton Forum?

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Fri Sep 05 2008 - 17:21:06 EDT

Hi:
Yesterday I set up a the framework for the Newton Knowledgebase.  I am using an open source know. management system.  You search, and you get a result.  I think that this is what people really want when troubleshooting or even learning about something.  There is nothing easier than asking a question and getting an immediate, relevant answer.

With this, I think the entire internet search paradigm will move to this.  Not that the traditional keyword search paradigm will disappear, but that both will exist side-by-side.  Google is probably going to be the one to offer the new search paradigm: the knowledgebase style of data mining.  It is much more efficient for many things.  Rather than having to visit dozens of websites and piece information together, typing in a question and just getting an answer is much faster and better if it was implemented properly.  It might usher in a new era of tagging, where we tag not only keywords but associated questions for each page.

For instance, a one page article on the beginning of the Newton project might have several questions tagged to it, like, "Who was Steve Capps?" or, "When did the Apple Newton start?"  Google might do something creative like write some software into their search engine that would generate synonyms to these questions, which would provide more power to the system.

With the Newton...  I have been collecting answers to key questions.  I have been using Webstractor and TextEdit to log answers.  It is surprising, when one looks at the corpus of answers I have collected, just how valuable and how much information that I have gained from all of you.  The thing is, you simply won't find most of this information in easily digestable bits in a central location.  The information I have from answers on this list is truly astounding, particularly in relation to those good old "traditional websites" that exist.