Re: [NTLK] eMate vs. 2100

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Sep 06 2008 - 00:18:08 EDT

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 10:48 PM, Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants@yahoo.ca>wrote:
> Also, where is the best place to find an upgrade chip?

Well what you are going to look for are:
- Original Memory Upgrade Chip by NewerTech.
*Pricey and on occasion still available NIB

- PCBman's Upgrade
* While it was available at a reasonable price.

- Ferdi's Upgrade at Newton Sales
* As you have noted a tad high priced.

One note Frank has indicated was that the NewerTech version had issue with
it's soldering.

Note to Sonny: How has the eMate been with the overclock?

Like any of the Overclocked versions of the MP130, MP2000/2000u/2100 or
eMate 300 you will notice first the pitch of the sound a bit higher.
The responsiveness is a bit faster - it's on par with a 33% speed increase
approximately. And I think it was as fast as the MP130 Pixsolution Upgrade
since the processors are about the same original clock speed. It moves
action to action faster.

> Any problems?

Personally there have been no issues that I've experienced.

I can however attest to Woody's comment that the Overclock hack is risky.
Stephanie and PCBman have indicated it is a risky procedure.
 unsolder them prior to their removal is difficult at best. If I had the
proper tools it would be easier for sure
The issue for me who is not a real technician and only have hobby tools for
the most part for this procedure is that the contacts for the crystal are
underneath they crystal. To try to correctly remove the crystal is difficult
no matter how good you are because the traces are not heavy duty and are
easily ripped off the MLB when you try removing the crystal.

They of course you need to install a switch and modify the case like I did.

Sonny

God bless,
Sonny Hung
the Hung Family