[NTLK] Chat program for the newton

From: <mkow1234_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat Sep 06 2008 - 10:44:56 EDT

 The application is called VideoPhone. It is one of my favorite software products for the Newton.

You can hunt around a bit in either UNNA or perhaps in Marty's Library, for the software and appropriate documentation.

VideoPhone software works well over an IrDA or a serial connection, and I believe it
could theoretically work over a telephone/modem connection as well.
There is a modem option one can choose, but documentation for its use
is unavailable). This software was originally intended for deaf
children to communicate via Newton (I believe), but the software could
also enable the Newton to be used as a telecommunications device.

Interestingly, I conducted some experiments with this software and wrote some brief documentation.
In one experiment, I attempted to connect THREE Newtons via IrDA -- this did NOT work. I was also working on using a serial connection for THREE Newtons, but I think it would require something similar to AppleTalk, or maybe some kind of router, to juggle the signals back and forth. I have tried to get the device to communicate from one Newton with modem directly to another Newton with modem card, but I may have set it up wrong. This SHOULD work -- there's just no available documentation on how to do it.

The developer/company that evolved from this product is based in Germany/Russia now and make primarily database software for corporations. I think the original software developer is in California -- he's virtually unreachable.
?

If one could somehow modify the software, the next logical step would be to enable it to tie in with the audio features (microphone and speaker) and then enable it to work with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. THIS is the logical route to go in developing a Newt phone, if that's something that people want -- I don't develop though --- I just perform research and write docs, so get working on it...?? :O)

Best regards,

Matt K.
Detroit, Michigan USA

Subject: Re: [NTLK] Chat program for the newton
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 23:12:44 -0400

There is an application which allows two devices to share a common
sketch area via IR. Whatever you draw or write on one appears on the
other. I've used it between two 2X00s in around 2000 and 2001 (before
texting was as we know it today) during bargaining sessions for labor
contract negotiations. I don't remember it passing keyboard input
though.
I can't remember the title but will check my MP ASAP.
Ken