Re: [NTLK] SER-001 screws

From: Andrei Chichak <newton_at_chichak.ca>
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 01:47:53 EDT

At 09:32 PM 4/15/2009, you wrote:

>Hi again -
> Just wondering, though - does anyone know what type of screws I'll
>need to secure it to the logic board?

The proper screws would be a #2 thread forming screw about 3/8-1/2"
long (this is all going from memory from when I tried to figure it
out from first principals).

You have to be very careful in choosing the proper screw head. There
is only 1mm between the top of the mounting boss and the back case.
If you take the thickness of the board and subtract it from 1mm, that
will give you the maximum amount of head that can protrude above the board.

If the head on the screw is too tall, I don't know what it might do,
probably bulge the back of the case. It would probably crack in the
long run. I don't know, I've never tried.

I would go for some sort of flat head, countersunk screw. The thread
forming type would be best, but a simple machine screw works too. You
can get them from McMaster-Carr by the hundred, or go down to your
local model railroad shop - they would sell them by the 10. Brass,
stainless, nylon, whatever, it's going into plastic, they all work.

Andrei