Re: [NTLK] Safari Pad - Apple's Tablet Computer

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 13:21:22 EDT

Hi:

I think I should clarify a few things. I am basing my comments on some things already rooted in technology that would allow for/make possible a resurgence. Inkwell in OS X for instance. Also, Wacom has two tablets out, and pen driven 'true' tablet market, albeit small, is in place. I used one of them for about half an hour. The only thing I did not like was the fact it had to be plugged into a computer, but other than that is was cool and using a stylus to navigate was generally faster than a mouse.

And by pen computing I don't just mean a device meant for taking notes like a computer, I mean having an option to use a stylus, which will be good for animators, graphic artists, and the like. Offering just a touchscreen device is too limiting in terms of input. I guess you could use a keyboard as an add on, but that takes away from the portability of the device.

When speech gets perfected it will help touchscreen devices but speech is impractical and undesirable in many settings.

My 'prediction' is a bit of a hyperbole, but I just think that true, slate/tablet computers will eventually be mainstream, and styluses as well, so we can draw and do other inputs into these devices. It will/should be coupled with multi-touch to give the user a choice, so we can have the best of both worlds. The reason people don't want styluses on smartphones, etc. is that the screens are far too small to really make use of them, so they are sort of superfluous, get ignored, and then get lost... On a larger device with say a 9"+ screen it makes more sense.

Some uses of true slate/tablets with stylus that would be difficult and unwieldy on a touchscreen, finger driven device:

-Mark up PDF with your own handwriting
-Sign electronic documents
-Draw and create Art
-Take notes
-Edit Photos and Video
-Navigate an Operating System (the precision of the stylus wins out, unless the OS is custom for the device i.e. iPhone OS)
-Write 'real' Emails

One interesting note. I was at a Cafe the other night, and there was this man who looked like a computer programmer from the 60s: long hair, small glasses... while everyone was hunched over the laptops, he had his shoes off, and had kicked back on one of the couches. He was using what looked to be a Scribbler 4000: a true slate/tablet computer. I think that while laptops will still stick, that kind of mobility is going to catch on, and that multi-touch and pen computing combined is inevitable.

Ryan