Re: [NTLK] [LONG] The life on the dull side of OS 1.x (was: Interest in Newton 110?)

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 18:04:02 EDT

You will need to dig deeper. There are several pdf files out there of the
original Apple Newton programming books. Below is a partial list:
NewtonFormats1.1.pdf
NewtonProgrammerGuide2.0.pdf
NewtonProgrammerRef20.pdf
NewtonScriptProgramLanguage.pdf

Granted some of these are 2.0 but they are a start. And I don't think the
serial interface has changed that much. There is also a repository of 1.x
example code. If you already write code than you can do it. You just need to
learn another language.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt@Gmail.com (Nokia N770)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/

Matej Horvat wrote:
<snip>
Actually I do have a few years of BASIC/Visual Basic experience, and I have
a copy of "Programming for the Newton using Windows", but that doesn't cover
using the serial port (which is crucial for using a modem) and the only
communications it covers are 2.x-only transports. Here is a very long note I
wrote on my MP120/1.3. Because there's no POP3/SMTP client for 1.x, I had to
"send" it the following way:
<snip>