Re: [NTLK] Apple Newton Search Question

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 11:01:40 EDT

Yeah, that was what I was trying to say. When I did my Santa Claus list I
did research on the Find functionality and that is what I found. I just did
not explain myself well. So each app that registers itself supplies its own
search/find method which can be by record or a full text search.

Michael J. Hußmann wrote:
<snip>
Find is implemented on an app-by-app basis. If you want your application
to support seaching, you implement a Find or DateFind method that does
the actual searching -- the latter is for dates and needs to support
comparison operators -- and a ShowFoundItems method for displaying found
items. When the user invokes a system-wide search, the OS sends Find or
DateFind messages to all the apps registered as supporting searches.
Each app then adds its found items to a global list which eventually is
displayed as an overview. When the user taps on an items, it is
displayed in more detail using the apps ShowFoundItems method.

In most cases, the search will be soup-based, but within your app, you
can implement it any way you like.

- Michael
<snip>