Re: [NTLK] Safari Pad - Apple's Tablet Computer

From: Joel M. Sciamma <joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk>
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 11:48:41 EDT

Ryan,

> I guess I keep defending the Stylus. You make some good comments.
> Here are some things to think about. Imagine trying to use
> photoshop with just your finger. Imagine professional editors
> trying to stop keyboard induced arth ritis by marking up documents
> with just their finger instead of a Stylus. Imagine an Animator
> tryíng to sketch drawings with his finger...

I completely agree and a tablet or stylus has been my primary input
method for nearly 20 years but I don't think Apple want you to be
doing grown up things on their first tablets. If you want serious
application support, get a serious computer. The performance of CS4
or Vectorworks on the hardware they would be using for a tablet would
"hurt the customer experience".

If Apple want to solve a problem they tend to throw software at the
problem and not hardware, which gets ever more minimalist with each
generation. It's like every moving part or physical affordance is an
insult instead of an opportunity. I can imagine an Apple game pad
without a single button or knob. So my guess is adaptations to the OS
to make fingers usable to do the kind of browsery things this machine
would do.

Joel.