Re: [NTLK] Mystery map application

From: R A Parker <RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET>
Date: Sun Apr 26 2009 - 12:56:00 EDT

On Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 3:24 am Tony Kan wrote:

> includes a place called Long Beach on it

The coastline looks like Long Beach, New York. Definitely not Long Beach, California.

On Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 5:38 am Leo LeBron wrote:

> nethopper app is in the button bar on the side

at 5:45 am:

> in the upper left corner,
> is the mapquest

This does create an interesting Mystery. So far we have guessed that the app "running" is probably the web browser, Nethopper. If the graphic is suggesting MapQuest, what year is this picture?

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapquest>

A little wikipedia research (from my wireless Newton, of course) suggests that "MapQuest", as a named company, wasn't until 2000. But wait, reading between the lines, one could surmise MapQuest existed as a web service since 1996. Ah... ha....

My guess is Nethopper, screen shot, in the MapQuest web service, sometime before 1997.

And, by the way, is this Newton using a flush mount or an internal wireless card? When did those become available? Hiroshi in 1998? Ryan Vetter in 2009? Well... Back to Newts Cape and the Wikipedia!

Ron

--
Sent using Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
     |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM