Re: [NTLK] PDF reader

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Thu Apr 30 2009 - 23:10:33 EDT

Nope.

And many have asked the same question, and several have made claims to having one under development, but nothing exists.

While the odd PDF might be ok, the way I see it today, why even bother with PDF on the Newton anyway?

Viewing PDFs on smaller screens and B&W/greyscale ones like the Newton is a bag of smashed bricks. Imagine the possibilities: scrolling right and left as you read sentences; pixelated text on imaged PDFs; dealing with sometimes huge PDFs that take up too much memory; all of the fonts that would be needed to read the varying PDFs... on and on. My brand new MacBook Pro stutters with some of the PDFs that cross my desk on a daily basis: imagine what would happen to the Newton...

I just don't see a point.

Check out www.newtonknowledge.info for information on using and making Newton Books: getting books on your Newton in readable format.

And might I recommend, for instance, NoteThing/NCU for OS 9 and NCX for OS X in terms of importing and exporting text to the Newt.

Stop by unna.org and check out their master listing document: just do a find for what you are looking for and navigate to that folder.

All the best,

Ryan