Re: [NTLK] Apple Tablet Probably Imminent

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Fri Aug 07 2009 - 11:51:57 EDT

It's getting more press than ever. Lots of activity. I, like you, don't know for certain if it will be released, but there are many indications that it is likely.

What is also interesting is the standard fare of negative comments that are surrounding it, even on this list. This happens almost every time Apple is about to or releases something. Then, after all the dust is settled, people fall in love with the devices, and Apple's profits reach new heights. It's like Apple's new products/new designs go through Schopenhauer's 3 stages of truth:

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

People criticize Apple's ideas. Then they release the product, it gets more criticism. People cry foul... Built in battery? Metal casing? Glossy screen? Intel processors? Buttonless trackpad? Handwriting recognition? SD card slot? No optical drive? No floppy drive? No physical keyboard?

Then, after some time, they realize that there was much thought behind the design decisions, and come to the conclusion that they could not live without the product and would not really want anything to change on it.

Ryan