[NTLK] Jean-Louis Gasseé

From: Michael Moore <moore5702_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 18 2009 - 16:33:17 EDT

> The Newton came first...Then there was some guy at Apple with a french name
> (phillip gasper? Or something like that) who was championing a different
> kind of operating system and was the pushing force behind magic cap...He
> later left Apple and formed his own company to develop his main OS that
> utilized a database as the OS...For the life of me, I can't remember his
> name *OR* the OS he designed...it became quite the hit amoungst the home
> hobbiest people!

You're thinking of Jean-Louis Gasseé. He supported the BeOS which lost out
to Steve's NextOS. If you're interested, here's a link with all you ever
wanted to know about Jean-Louis and BeOS:
http://lowendmac.com/orchard/05/jean-louis-gassee-apple.html

BTW, on a personal note, when the betas of BeOS were just starting to come
out, I had been very impressed with the graphics environment. I had gone to
their web site (this was after Jean-Louis had left Apple and became the CEO
of Be) and registered to be a beta tester. Trying to determine the status of
my request, I called their offices. Someone with a heavy accent answered and
was very helpful and courteous. Turns out it was Jean-Louis himself. They
were obviously operating on a shoe-string...