Re: [NTLK] Newton Keyboard question

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Aug 19 2009 - 00:31:07 EDT

Hello,

--- On Tue, 8/18/09, Dennis B. Swaney <romad@aol.com> wrote:

> Using a Keyspan USA-28x dual-serial
> port adapter, can a Newton keyboard
> be used with a Mac running Mac OS 10.4.11? I need a small
> keyboard for a confined space and was wondering if this would work?

Can you give us an idea of the desktop (server rack?) space you have to work with?

Since a Newton Keyboard apparently won't work, I wonder if an older ADB-type keyboard might. The IIGS keyboard leaps to mind here, as it has a very small footprint and can usually be got for not much money. This assumes you have an iMate on hand that would allow you to make use of ADB devices. I believe (though perhaps someone else can confirm) the iMate will work with 10.4.X

An Apple Adjustable Keyboard might be a good fit, too, though I'm not sure about the longevity of those. The then-novel "split" design seemed to result in a short service life for those keyboards.

Best,

James Fraser