[NTLK] CNET: Newton verses iPhone

Bob Carls Dudney kosmicdollop at saber.net
Wed Dec 2 04:15:10 EST 2009

On 30/11/09, John Broughton wrote:

>simple reason Newton continues to win comparison contests. It's a
>real pocket computer
>like having a 60 year old Ford that can run successfully against a
>current model, and do it better. Apple would do well..with an
>updated..Newton line.

Very, very well put. Don't recall seeing a better, certainly not a
more succinct, meaty explanation why Newt's in a class by itself --
in so, so many ways!

Thanks, John!

Also makes pretty clear why Newt got Steved: somewhat analogous to
Model T losing out to glitzier, more gas-guzzling, much less
versatile, much more mass-marketable, hence much more profitable
plushmobiles -- E.g: iBook.

(For those who don't know: Ford designed the T to be both transport
and farm workhorse: many homesteaders used it to power farm
equipment; some versions even accommodated a removable tractor-like
power take-off on the side.)

I was surprised my heart jumped Monday when I read Apple has re-hired
some Newton stalwarts.

Hope springs eternal, at least in this chest: Maybe my weary old PB
still defying the odds will hang on just long enough . . .